Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Saturday, November 5, 2011

Revolutionary Saturday!

Have you heard of Benjamin Tallmadge?

If no – you’re not alone.

Have you heard of Benedict Arnold?

Chances are, you have.

Funny thing, Benjamin Tallmadge is the person who suspected that Benedict Arnold had turned traitor. If not for Tallmadge, Arnold might have carried off his nefarious plan.

So why do we remember villains, and only a few select heroes? What does that say about us?

Benjamin Tallmadge organized Washington’s Culper Spy Ring – one of Washington’s main secrets to winning the war.

And Tallmadge did something even more incredible, in a human way: After retreating to safety from the Battle of Long Island, he returned across the East River and was nearly killed – all to save his horse.

This is the kind of man I celebrate.

A good man.

A man who deserves to be known.  

My time is short today. I’m helping my son apply to colleges, I have to cook dinner, and I’m working on a novel.

But I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the memory of Benjamin Tallmadge.

I hope you will do the same.

                                                                      Benjamin Tallmadge,
                                                       as depicted by my marvelous illustrator,
                                                                         Bill Farnsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment