Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Friday, December 23, 2011

Welcome to Guest Blogger Shannon Delany!

Today I welcome my friend and fellow author Shannon Delany,


who is one of the most dedicated authors I know (and I know many!) Shannon has both an incredible work ethic, and a deep devotion to her fans.

Thank you for posting, Shannon!

Readers: Don't forget to enter my contest to win a box of ARCs! Deadline is tomorrow night - read yesterday's post for details!


Putting Werewolves to Bed:
On Ending a Debut Series


I guess writing this means it’s true. My debut series, including five YA paranormal novels (the first of which began as a cell phone novel) starring hot teenage Russian-American werewolves in small-town America has finally come to an end.

When I started writing 13 to Life for a contest in 2008 I never expected for it to take on the life it has. In 2009 I learned I’d won the first-ever cell phone novel contest in the western world, landed my first agent (as fresh in the biz as I was) and, in freakishly short order, I had a movie producer contact me and two publishers. As a result of all that, I made some choices and contracted for three books with St. Martin’s Press, an imprint of “Big 6” publisher Macmillan.

Three books. St. Martin’s Press put me on the 6-month plan: a new novel came out approximately every six months. I loved it (especially since I have an addiction for fierce cliffhangers). That 6-month plan probably saved me from being throttled by anxious readers. Then, while I was in Orlando as a speaker at the RWA national convention I got a call. St. Martin’s Press was interested in bringing me on for two more books. Equally flabbergasted and thrilled I said: YES!!! I reworked a bit of my story arc and my character development and was able to dive into a subplot I wanted to explore more fully.
I wrote and promoted and revised and promoted and did copyedits while writing, revising and promoting and... You get the idea. Somehow I maintained my last shreds of sanity (I did mention I wrote Russian-American werewolves, right?)

And then it was time to write the final novel in the 13 to Life series. I was miserable writing it. I knew that after the revisions, the copyedits and the first pass pages the only time I’d revisit my characters and the world of Junction was if I reopened one of my books and read. I realized there would be no more hot and frustrating moments between Max and Amy, no more struggles with Jess and Pietr and no more adventures with Alexi hustling pool. Since 2008 I’ve held the lives (and loves) of these characters in my hands. Living in a world where I realize I have tremendously little control still I had complete control over their world.

A few days ago I sent my copy-edits back to my editor.

I’ve been a bit of a wreck ever since. See, I never expected to write a debut series of five novels. I never expected I’d be writing Russian-American werewolves. After living with teen werewolves for three years (because, in a way you do live with them if you write them) ending the series feels like a really fierce goodbye.

As a matter of fact, the only thing that’s keeping me going is that although one series is over I have other things in the works. Two other things at the moment. I’m not at liberty to talk too much about either yet... The one project I can mention—and something I’m tremendously excited about is a short story for a charity anthology through YALitChat.

Georgia McBride has organized a group of authors to create a set of truly unique tales based on an old literary staple. We get to reinterpret something that has become nearly completely integrated in our culture. And I get to do mine with a co-writer. Yes. A co-writer. This is the part that’s just as exciting as creating a new world or being part of a new project—working with someone whose talents I greatly respect.

The fact he’s not an author of novels but a writer of songs is even more awesome in a way. He even says he’s “excited to bring my songwriting into a different light.” For this upcoming project I’ll be working with lyricist and singer Max Scialdone. Max has been making music and performing live as a solo act and with a variety of bands (right now a lot of his time’s devoted to Autumn Fire
who just released their second CD) for more than a decade.


We both have an appreciation for the same types of stories and a fierce desire to make this project sing. Interpret that as you will. I can’t say much more right now, but if you’re as familiar with Selene’s novels as you should be, after reading this upcoming short story of ours you’ll understand why I love her title Saved by the Music even more.

So although the 13 to Life werewolves have been put to bed (at least for now) I have things that are on the horizon. Things I hope readers will find as inventive, passionate and exciting as I’m finding the creation of them to be.

                                 
Shannon Delany is the author of the 13 to Life series through St. Martin’s Press including: 13 to Life (8/10), Secrets and Shadows (2/11), Bargains and Betrayals (8/11), Destiny and Deception (1/31/12), Rivals and Retributions (8/7/12); and the sci-fi short story “To Hel and Back” in Spirited: 13 Haunting Tales (Leap Books, 10/11 ebook; 3/12 pb).
Max Scialdone is the singer and songwriter for Autumn Fire. His albums include Endless (2010) and Amends (12/11).
Find them both online on Facebook and Twitter and at ShannonDelany.com and AutumnFireMusic.com.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this series and hope to start it soon. Great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspirational! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete