Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Going Hollywood: Book & Movies CAN Play Nice Together

You have to hand it to J.D. Salinger.

He was a man who stuck to his principles.

In The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield trashes the “phony” film industry. He is quite disappointed that his brother, D.B., has sold out as a writer – heading out to Hollywood to write scripts.

Despite Salinger’s clear contempt for movies (or maybe he didn’t actually read Catcher), aspiring film director Hubert Cornfield courted the author. It is perhaps because Cornfield was just starting out that Salinger answered him at all.

Here’s the letter:





An interior novel like Catcher would of course be a challenge to portray on screen. But I would’ve liked to see someone try.


I love you, J.D. But here’s where we differ. I am sooo ready for Hollywood. Someone fetch my sunglasses!




Now I will practice my Hollywood diction:

Dahlings...Kiss, kiss!

Okay – That’s all I’ve got.

I’m with Holden about that phoniness...I became overwhelmingly nauseous when I was in L.A. on my honeymoon – and I think the pregnancy was just the icing on the cake of disgust.

That said, I think there’s a place for books in movies. They simply have to be done well, like anything else. Harry Potter lost me after awhile (I’m a reality chick) – but those first few movies were well-done. The key, in my opinion? J.K. Rowling retained creative control.



The best example I’ve seen of a book turned into a movie is Holes. OMG, I cried. Beautiful. Why? Because the author wrote the script as well.



People, we need to roll with the changes or get flattened. These days, movies rule – and writers can think of it as more exposure for their work. Plus, Most authors don’t have the luxury of turning down money like J.D. did. Let’s face it. If we get paid well for a movie, that’s money we can use to fund future writing projects. Because, sadly, it costs money to live.



My Revolutionary War books would make excellent films. So much action – but a great portrayal of humanity as well (if I do say so myself.) My editor and I have had casting conversations about By the Sword. Unfortunately, Orlando Bloom – my lead pick – is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

The vampire guy from Twilight would be good as the boy dying of cancer in a movie of The Girl Next Door. He’s so very pale.

(BTW: I do not endorse Twilight, in book or movie form. That needs to be clear. Garbage in print begets garbage on screen. ‘Nuff said.)

Hollywood moguls: Are you out there? I’m ready for my [book] close-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment