Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Sunday, November 27, 2011

Requiem for my Aunt Olga Bloom

           

           My friend Orel called me last night and told me I’d been omitted from my Aunt Olga Bloom’s obituary in The New York Times.
            It upset me. She was the most influential person in my life, and I was the same in hers. She'd said it many times.
            But Aunt Olga would say, “Let it go, love. What does it matter? We hold the truth in our hearts.”
            She would be right, of course.
            She was always right.
            It was maddening, sometimes.
            But oh so comforting, as well.
            In my dark childhood Aunt Olga would arrive outside my house, shouting, "Hello, Old Chum!" She'd whisk me away in her battered Volkswagen Beetle, riding shotgun in a seat with no back. She’d removed it to carry planks of wood for her barge. Off we roared! On expeditions. It didn’t matter where. It only mattered that it was the two of us. She was the only person in my life who made me feel special. I would be locked in a mental institution right now pounding my head on the padded walls if not for her.
            We did not agree musically. She loved classical music, obviously. I adored rock & roll. But I did like Chopin, I admitted grudgingly – for teenagers hate to enjoy anything adults treasure. I also came to look forward to “The Four Seasons,” which they performed on the barge every Easter. And, at Christmas and New Year’s, The Brandenburg’s were pretty okay, too.




            I guess it was all pretty okay. It just took me a while to appreciate it – like many things in life. Rarely do we comprehend the beauty of what is right in front of us.
            I did appreciate Aunt Olga, though. We loved each other madly. She tried so hard to get me to play the violin – she even bribed me, paying me ten cents per line – but all I wanted was to write. It took her so many years to accept that. It wasn’t until she read my manuscript Evolution that she embraced me as a writer – a real writer. “My God, child,” she said, “I stayed up all night reading. I couldn’t put it down. You’ve written something worthy of Shakespeare. And the insights into humanity...You are so young for them...”
            That was one of the happiest days of my life: When Aunt Olga approved of my work. I don’t know if I could’ve found the strength to write such a gut-wrenching thing, if not for her love.
            Then there was the book I wrote about us: Saved by the Music. She couldn’t get past the opening at first, saying “I can’t bear to think of the sadness in your life.”
            But I told her she was the one who got me through, and she was able to read the rest. And she was proud – of me, and this tribute to her.
            Because she was proud of me, I was proud of me, too.
            My aunt taught me that there was no such thing as "no." There was only “not yet.”
            When people laughed at her dream, she laughed louder, agreeing that it was indeed a funny thing – but knowing that all great accomplishments started out with something humorous, or even ludicrous.
            When she brought me to her barge – the barge she was inspired to buy because of me, to give me a safe, creative haven – she stretched out her arms and declared, “Welcome home, love!”
            It was a disgusting, grey place – but it was home because she said so.
            My aunt was my home.
            And then, because I wanted so badly for her vision to come true, I helped her. I didn't love doing it, but I did it anyway. With me by her side, Aunt Olga turned that atrocious barge into Bargemusic.   



             Aunt Olga and I did share the same romantic tendencies. I read a love letter she wrote to her second husband, Toby: “I worship you,” she wrote. “You are God.”
            I so could have written that.
            She was a free spirit who truly lived the life she wanted, and she didn’t give a damn about what anyone thought about it. She was a floating, Russian Auntie Mame.
            She was Aunt Olga.
            Thank God, she was Aunt Olga.
            My old chum.

8 comments:

  1. *hugs*
    Beautifully said, Selene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your Aunt, Selene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Selene. Your tribute is beautiful. God bless your Aunt Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had her in your life, Selene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. She was truely a blessing to have in your life. I love the simple saying of "Not yet," rather than "No."

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a privilege to get to know Aunt Olga and I'm grateful to you for introducing me and my mom to her. She was a wonderful, warm, funny, smart, caring person and her legacy lives on, especially in you, Selene. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So touching, Selene. Everyone should have an Aunt Olga. I'm so glad you did.

    ReplyDelete