Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Thursday, December 8, 2011

Last Week To Enter Kindle Contest & The Hokey Pokey (A Day Late): Broadway Shows ARE Worth the Price of Admission

Greetings!

This is the last week of my contest to win a Kindle! Please share your miracles! (Complete contest details are at the bottome of this post.)

Yesterday was Hokey Pokey Wednesday, but I was too busy actually doing The Hokey Hokey to post (I DID write it, LOL.)

Here it is:

             I mentioned to my son Michael that I was thinking of taking his brother to see the Broadway show Rent. I brought Michael to so many productions when he was younger. We started compiling a list once, and jotted down at least twenty-five, but both of us felt some were missing.
             Money got tighter, and as a result, Casey hasn’t seen many shows. Truth be told, I started resenting the price of admission. Shows are expensive! (Kind of like gluten-free cookies, but at least the shows are good.) I stopped making shows a priority. But the other day, during a school visit, I spotted some vouchers for Rent in the office, and decided to give Casey a treat.
            “I’ll go again,” Michael said. “I loved that show.”
            “Oh, great. More money,” I said, but I was laughing. Because Michael really did love that show. He even wanted a stuffed cow wearing the Rent logo on a t-shirt as a souvenir (you have to see the show to get the joke.) It’s funny – we just stored that cow in a box in our attic. “Okay, three tickets it is.”
            Then he said something that shocked me: “Broadway shows made me who I am.”
            “How so?” I asked.
            He said, “They made me believe that anything was possible.”
            Wow.
            Looking back, I can see that. The way he marched up and down the aisle when the band played “Seventy-Six Trombones” at the end of The Music Man.



The way he marveled at Peter Pan flying above his head,




and on a different occasion in the same theatre, the way he marveled over Annie getting her gun.



Hell, he even loved Tom Sawyer, The Musical (probably the only person who ever did.)


            He didn’t love Cats, but thought it was so cool to go on stage and see the sleeping cat up close at intermission. He was tickled over Suessical the Musical, which I thought was much better than it had the right to be. He and his cousin Ashleigh went wild over Footloose and asked to see the movie – which they panned. 
            He danced all the way back to the car after Forty-Second Street.



            There were only two shows he disliked: Beauty and the Beast (He was about five and terrified. No, he was not scared of the beast. He never made it that far. The wolves attacking Belle in the woods freaked him out, and he willed himself to sleep) and Jesus Christ Superstar (which I only took him to because the commercial proclaimed it “a family musical,” but it bored him so much that he begged me to let him sleep - so I did. It got better in the second act, but he’ll never know.)
            So many shows! The list goes on. I, too, was influenced by Broadway when I was little – but I thought it was because my aunt played violin in the orchestra pits (before she built her barge.) I got to go backstage and meet the actors. I especially remember No, No, Nanette and all the cool people I met there.


At home, I sang the songs with and without the record: “I Want to be Happy,” “Take a Little One Step, Two Step, Three Step” and of course the very woe-is-me “Where Has My Hubby Gone Blues.”
            But maybe it wasn’t just because I went backstage. Maybe it was the magic of musicals.
            I also loved The Music man. Over and over I sang “Goodnight My Someone” and “’Til There Was You.” And I adored Oklahoma.
            As an adult I became a “Jekkie” and saw Jekyll and Hyde at least two dozen times.


            Turns out Broadway shows are worth the price of admission. They do make you feel different about your prospects. They’re uplifting.
            Michael has grown into a fine, young man who indeed believes that anything is possible.


And because he believes this - it is.
            I’ll have to start bringing Casey to shows. I think he’ll enjoy Rent,



though he is a tough customer, as Aunt Olga would say. He should be happy as long as I keep my mouth shut and don’t sing along with the cast.
            And I already have a stuffed cow waiting for him at home.

Here are the contest details:

Got a story about a miracle? Share it with me, and you could win yourself or someone you love a Kindle.



There are other ways to win:

1. Follow this blog. (There is a space at the bottom of the post to enter your e-mail. I know it's hard to figure out - but I can't figure out how to make it clearer. Sorry!!!)
2. Post this contest in your status on any social media.
3. E-mail your favorite quote on "miracles" to Ldymcbeth@aol.com.
4. Review one of my books (there are four) on your blog, Goodreads or Amazon.
5. I'm open to other creative ideas for entries. Try me!
You will receive one entry for each thing you do. I will select ONE winner out of all the entries on Thursday, December 15.

2 comments:

  1. I hope to attend a Broadway show someday. I would love to see Grease, The Phantom of the Opera and Chicago performed live on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phantom is my favorite of those three, Na - but you would have a great time at any show. Hope you get to see one - and even more!!! They are quite inspiring. Think about the passion and labor that goes into every performance. Wow.

    ReplyDelete