Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tightrope Tuesday: Groceries Strike Again

     Today it was all I could do to produce dinner.
     These kids have a thing about eating. They like to do it.
     I find the whole thing overwhelming. Not the act of eating, but all the steps leading up to it.
     Shopping SUCKS.


The store is soooo big.


You have to inspect all the fruits and vegetables. You have to decide if you'll spring for the organic stuff or risk some slow, glowing insides death by pesticides. You have to search the aisles for all the things they've moved since the last time you were there (they love to do that - villains!) You have to go back to the other side of the store for the things you didn't notice on the list that were over there. If you suffer from OCD you have to inspect packages to make sure they haven't been tampered with, and then try to placate yourself by thinking, I haven't heard any reports of tampered products killing people for years. You have to wait on a line for a clerk, or self check-out the mound of stuff yourself. (That's always fun. Once I hit the "Spanish" button by accident, which wasn't so bad until I got to the produce.) You have to go to different stores to get certain things.
     OMG. All this trouble just to eat. Is it really worth it?
     My son's list was compiled with the seriousness of The Ten Commandments.



     And really, I want him to be happy. He deserves it. He works hard in school, and is doing so well. He just got his second on-sight college acceptance yesterday, with another merit scholarship. He needs to have brain fuel. But why do I have to drag my butt around buying everything?
     I could send him shopping. But it seems mean. He really is a great son, and he doesn't ask for all that much. It seems to be important to have these food items - and for me to cook them - and he's satisfied. Considering the problems some people have with their kids, I can't complain. But still I am overwhelmed.
     I bought so much, and still I have have to get dinner for Thursday and beyond.
     I don't know how people do it. And then there's the holidays - made even more evident by the depressing music playing in the store, making me oh, so sad. Not music to shop by.
     I am grieving for my aunt, and I'm sure that is making everything more harder for me. Normally I joke about all this more.
     Yes, some laughter is in order.

   
     Which is the payoff of course - laughing with the kids as we're plopped down at the dinner table.
      I just wish someone else did all the prep work.


Here we are outside Pancho's restaurant on Michael's birthday - it's nice to be served sometimes!

5 comments:

  1. Selene,you are a marvelous MOM, you are!

    I often say that if I could afford to hire assistance I'd prefer a cook over a cleaning lady. Wouldn't that be cool to have someone cook a healthy meal for you at least three times a week?

    I also like the idea of cooking batches of food with a friend and each taking some home to put in the freezer. I've done that a few times and should be doing it regularly with my daughter but we just fail to make it happen.

    I so agree about the trouble of going grocery shopping. There aren't enough hours in a day for that sort of thing. If we buy the groceries who will write books?


    As for grief, give yourself permission. Which I am sure you don't need me to say to you. I suspect lots of things seem extra hard right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joyce. That's an awesome idea - to cook batrches of food with a friend. Now I have to find a friend, lol. (I mean locally.) I'm feeling really good today - going over chapters on my latest novel, and they are AWESOME!!! My aunt is by my side, literally (I need to get her an urn or something.)She'll help me get the success I deserve, and then I'll have that chef AND cleaning lady ;)
    The saddest thing would be having a life where we weren't frustrated by chores and errands. If they were all we knew and wanted from life, THAT would be tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce has great ideas, doesn't she? Here in California, we can order our groceries on line and they deliver them. I haven't tried it yet, but that's because it's only available from Safeway, which is not where I shop since I am inherently cheap. I go to WinCo. I have to pack my own groceries, but they never change where things are and I save a bundle. I would choose a cleaning lady over chef, though. By this time in my life I've found lots of good things that are easy to cook. Glad to hear your aunt is by your side. I do my best writing when my late mother visits. I miss her every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosi, It sounds like even more work to go through the process of ordering groceries on-line! And hard to comparison shop.

    Very nice about your mom :)

    ReplyDelete