Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Monday, December 5, 2011

Method to my Madness Monday: Hocus, Pocus, Where's Your Focus?

            What do I want to say about writing today?
            I think it’s the message I received in my Matchbox miracle: Focus.


            There’s so much going on in my life right now. As there is in yours. But we can’t wait for that “optimum” moment to write. It will never come!
            The best thing to do is to allow yourself five solid minutes. You’d be surprised what you can get done. Especially if you need to revise something. Carry a page of your manuscript in your pocket.


         If you’re standing on a line, if you’re waiting in a doctor’s office, if you’re sitting on a toilet...




pull out that paper and revise! Not only will you get something done – you’ll be proud & pumped up! And what does that lead to? More writing!!!
            I’ve done some powerful revisions waiting to order coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts.





 (I actually wrote much of my first two novels in Dunkin’ Donuts.)



            There are many opportunities to get some writing in during the day – if you allow for them. The thing you must do is focus on finding them. It’s like ideas. They’re everywhere. You just have to see them.
            Even if you have nothing to revise, just jot things down. A random sentence might lead to something. And if not – at least your brain is churning.
            You must keep those gears in motion, or they’ll get rusty.
            It’s not about the final product – it’s about state of mind, which ultimately leads to final product.
            And you’ll be in a good mood.




            That counts for a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment