Welcome to Selene Castrovilla's blog!

I'm an author spreading the words. Read about my books at www.SeleneCastrovilla.com







Wednesday, December 28, 2011

On Resolutions

            Aren’t resolutions funny?

            We spend so much time making our lists this time of year. What will we do differently? What will we improve about ourselves? What habits will we break for good?
            I don’t like resolutions, especially in list form. When I decide to do something, I do it. I don’t call it a “resolution.” To label it something that dramatic seems like a prelude to failure.
            And when I set out toward a goal, I do it without announcement. If I tell people, in every subsequent encounter they inevitably inquire: “Have you done it yet?”
           Who needs all that questioning?
            I attend a writing retreat twice a year. AT the end of the week, my editor asks us to list our goals for the next six months. I rarely do it. If I do, my single is “to be.” Once I made a full-blown list – which I didn’t accomplish.Then I was sad when she shared it the next time.
            I’ve seen people agonize over their resolutions. If they put that much effort into getting things done day to day, they probably wouldn’t need resolutions. Imagine living your life so well that you had not one resolution to make?
            I’ve made a decision to delete all my e-mails as of New Year’s Day. I have over 3500. I don’t know how that happened - except that when I'm writing I don't spend much time checking e-mails, especially when so much of it is junk. If you haven’t heard back from me in months/years – this is why. Please re-send after January first ;) But I won’t call this decision a resolution. I will call it a step toward my mental well-being!
            Seriously, what is it about the word “resolution” that freaks me out? Maybe it’s because year after year I hear people make them, them break them. Maybe the word means nothing anymore, due to careless handling.
            However, I do love deadlines. I use them often. Maybe I like the inherent threat of death. The stakes are high! I meet my deadlines, which are largely self-imposed. I don’t think I would if I called them “resolutions.” They wouldn’t have the same impact. Why? It’s the feeling of the words, that’s all.

            I am, after all, a writer.
            What’s the number one resolution people make? I’m sure it’s to lose weight.
I took a look around the gym the other day. Not too full, but that’ll all change in January. Gyms bank on people resolving to lose weight in the new year to sell memberships. Right now, folks are stuffing themselves to excess because they’re making that resolution starting New Year’s Day. And then, by February, something thins out. It’s not the people losing weight – it’s the crowd at the gym. The new members stop coming.

Resolutions, phooey. They’re ready for their Valentine’s chocolates.
            Hey, there’s always next year to resolve anew.
            Aren’t we all silly, worrying about things we never change? Kind of a waste of energy. When we’re ready to do it, we can do it without a declaration – can’t we?
            Why must everything we set out to accomplish have such pomp and circumstance? Somehow, we Americans insist on flourish. But if it starts with a bang, it may end with a whimper.
            What matters is the part we as a culture don’t focus on: carrying out the goal.
            It’s like weddings, come to think of it. So much poured into that big day. Then, after the honeymoon, the happy couple is stuck with each other and no drama to occupy them. The goal is to stay happily married, but all the effort was put into the initial moments. Doesn’t make much sense.
            With all that said, I wish you all the best in the New Year. Here’s to accomplishing all you set out to do, whether it’s with sound and fury, or in absolute quiet. Whatever works for you.
            Cheers!


2 comments:

  1. I resolve not to make any resolutions for 2012. No point. Thanks for the reminder. Happy New Year, Selene.

    ReplyDelete